Thursday, June 14, 2007

healing quilt cycle

this week I finally finished the fourth quilt in the 'cycle' of healing quilts I am making for some of the loved ones richard left behind. artistically speaking I can't say the quilt will rock anyone's world. but the fact that it is composed of the knit- shirts that richard lived in and favored and many of the squares showcase emblems, places and activities in which richard was involved I know that the quilt is one which will evoke fond memories. if in these memories the family finds a little comfort then the quilt - simple as it is artistically and design-wise - will be a family heirloom and therefore a masterpiece.

I'm anxious to start cutting up fabrics for a new project (always my favorite part of making a quilt) but I still have the two baby quilts that are waiting to be completed. my motto these days is 'I should be stitching' but unfortunately there is a conspiracy against me in both the travel and weather departments this month. so far I wandered off to new england for nearly a week and in less than two weeks I will be heading out again - this time to the land of longhorns, longnecks, and lousy-politicians ('home' of that is). weather-wise it's been glorious - geez, I hope I haven't jinxed things by saying that - but blue skies and beaconing garden beds are often hard to resist!

4 comments:

msb said...

I found your site link on Pollys blog and must say I think I've found a kindred spirit. I snatched up 5 daily remembrances and pasted them on my blog. and now these wonderful quilt. Awesome. I know I will be here everyday. May I add you to my links? I would be so honored.

Anonymous said...

the quilt is wonderful and full of energy.

Mom said...

Love your ideas. Just found your site. Have not been quilting long but find it very soothing when my day has been hectic. Trying to quilt a comforter for our daughters before Christmas. Want to use the quilt as you go method on machine. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

hi joan - welcome to the mouse and thanks for the compliment. I don't do much machine quilting - although the notion of speed tempts me mightily! on my 'main site' I have a few quilt blogs (bayou quilts, spirit cloth, yarnstorm) listed on my favorite nibbles (jude's spirit cloth site has links that are a virtual library of resources for quilting and so much more) I can guarantee that you find lots of inspiration and folks that machine quilt to help you. I wish I could. have fun playing with fabric - I have been quilting for over 15 years (altho technically I did make my first quilt while in college completed 1974). I still feel like a beginner.