Thursday, March 27, 2008

where the wild things are

right after I finished the peace village quilt, I began another project this one also needed a quick turn around time. this quilt is being made for a baby that is due in late april. once again I choose a pattern based on the log cabin block.

in interviewing the woman who has commissioned the quilt I learned that the couple who will be receiving the quilt are nature and animal lovers, their home is decorated in warm, earth colors - oh, and they are mega dog lovers. they know the baby is a boy. I used this information as the building blocks for the quilt. for the top I choose a palate of colors that I consider earth colors, although I don't know if one would consider them warm as there's quite a bit of spark at play.

the blocks are scrappy (I think I might have used eight or ten different fabrics), however, the center of each block uses the same fabric - this fabric features images of woodland creatures. a fussy square showcasing an animal face is the center square for each block. repeating bands of color act as sashing strips combining the blocks.

on monday I layered the quilt and now am in the process of hand-stitching the layers. the blocks which measure 6 1/2 inches are a bit too big for tying, which I consider the quickest method of layer attachment. by the way, the fabrics I chose for the back address the love for dogs that the couple has - photos to come. when complete the quilt will measure approximately 52 inches square. I tend to make 'baby quilts' large enough to accompany the child as he or she grows and I prefer fabrics that aren't too babyish.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love that quilt! It's so cute!

mzjohansen said...

Ooooooo!!!! I love it Kim !
It has such a great depth in the colors - plus I am a big log cabin fan !
Well done ! Lucky Baby !

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Wow, what a glorious quilt!